Monday, July 2, 2007

Hello!



I'm back at my desk after an unplanned mini-vacation.

Quick, surprise getaways are the best kind, aren't they? Even if you return to an overflowing in-basket, tons of email and more than a few to-dos with Urgent! stamped on them -- all of which I did -- it's wonderful to have had a few hours or a few days of calm, peaceful thoughts.

One of the things that always surprises me when I take time off is how quickly I realize how little I actually need. Oh, there are tons of things I want -- but very few I truly, desperately require.

My friend, C., is in the process of moving to Charlotte, NC from Denver. Rather than hire a fleet of moving vans to transport everything, she's selling all but the necessities and she plans to move to her new city feeling light and free.

"I don't want things to have power over me anymore," she said.

Powerful words, aren't they?

This week we'll take a closer look at how clearing out unnecessary thoughts, emotions and possessions can impact the quality of our lives. We'll also have a conversation with Gail Imel, a woman who sold much of what she owned and traveled to South America for a solo adventure that spanned several months.

In the interim, enjoy this photo of Jake demonstrating his favorite activity for the dog days of summer.

Take care!

1 comment: