Monday, June 25, 2007

It's all a journey.

Novelist Kathy Holmes (Real Women Wear Red) has a wonderful series of posts on her blog about the process of going home. In Kathy's case, home is Oregon, the state she moved to at 16.

With the exception of a few years as a transient Air Force brat, I've never lived anywhere but Denver, but Kathy's essays still resonated. I realized why today.

Home can be something other than a physical place. For those of us making an emotional journey, home can be the state of being where we're finally comfortable in our own skin. Perhaps it's reclaiming the wonder and joy we had as children. Perhaps it's achieving the self-acceptance we always wanted and were, often unknowingly, traveling toward.

Whether the home you're searching for is geographic or spiritual, I encourage you to visit Kathy's site. It's great!

Playing on iTunes:
Silver Thunderbird by Marc Cohn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention. You know it felt risky when I first posted it but rewarding to see so many relate to it. I had to blog about it. :)

Ms. Peri said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this. It's an issue close to many.