Sunday, July 29, 2007

I'm not a math-phile, but...

I struggled through a few calculations to better understand just what was involved with the percent of body fat issue mentioned in the previous post. Here's what I discovered:

1) 37 percent of my current weight is 59.57 pounds. (Imagine carrying 12 5-pound bags of sugar -- or an average-sized nine-year-old -- on your back every day. That's comparable.)

2) 23 percent of my ideal weight is 32.20 pounds. That means I should lose 27.37 pounds of fat and gain 6.37 pounds of muscle to be reasonably fit.

Okay...27.37 pounds of fat! I'm having a total Bridget Jones moment here. How does one even wrap one's brain around the concept of losing 27.37 pounds of fat?

Not to be whiney, but -- Ugh! This is going to be hard.

2 comments:

One Heart Dancing said...

Ms Merry Peri

There is something wrong with this calculation. Perhaps percentage of body fat does not equate to percentage of pounds. Maybe percentage of body fat is measured by volume, not weight?

I have seen you. If you lost 30 pounds, you would be underweight.

I wonder where your weight is compared to guidelines like the FDA. I'd like to know, if you compared the FDA ideal weight for a person of your age/height to what you would weigh if you lost 30 pounds. Would you be underweight by their calculation?

I have no clue how it differs. But you'd be thin-thin if you lost 30 pounds.

And besides that, your friends love you just the way you are. :)
OHD

Ms. Peri said...

Alas, OHD --

I double checked the calculations and they are (Yuck-yuck-yuck!) correct. It seems I'm one of those people who can "hide" weight because of my height...but it's there.

I will be putting on some muscle, though :-)